Re: A few questions (buster and presentation)

On 04/16/2019 12:36 PM, Matthew Crews wrote:
On 4/16/19 10:32 AM, Michael Stone wrote:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 06:27:34PM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
There are 3 main ways to install packages,  I have tried to explain this
in the presentation as

Apt - 1.8.0 - command line tool (universal)
Gnome-packagekit - used for gnome desktop environment
Synaptic - 0.84.5 used for most other Desktop Environment(s)

There's also aptitude, which actually works well.

FYI, Synaptic is not available in Debian Buster.

There is an important implication of that.
If Synaptic (or an acceptable alternative) is not available then there are users who wait for a usable Debian (or other) release.

I for one. I use MATE, IIRC I skipped a release after Gnome3 presented an unacceptable UI.