Re: A call to drop gnome

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 16:54:02 +1000
Keith Bainbridge <ke1th3216@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good afternoon
>

> I've copied 2 bits from the discussion on synaptic and adding my 2 bobs'
> worth towards the next review of whether gnome remains the default desktop.
>

> On 15/4/19 9:31 pm, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:> Because GNOME. GNOME's
> upstream said their word loud and clear, and that
>  > word is - 'thou shall use Wayland for it is our favorite toy now'.
>

> On 16/4/19 12:23 am, Jonathan Dowland wrote:>
>  > The decision to ship GNOME as the default desktop is regularly
>  > revisited: And
>  > if a future GNOME release dropped X support altogether, you can be sure
>  > that
>  > would be a factor in the re-evaluation that would follow.
>

> I've never been a fan of gnome, and I can only say that in the beginning
> it was simply because I didn't yet know about themes etc. I settled for
> KDE, in the 1990's.  I now know that it was the slowest of all, but I
> found my way around easiest.
>
> [snip]

So, don't install GNOME.  Choose another DE.  Just because it's "the
default" means nothing. Or do what I did 7 years ago when I first
installed Wheezy after using Fedore/GNOME for a number of years: Abandon
the desktop environment all-together and use a window manager. (I chose
Openbox.) You'll be amazed at how much smoother and more responsive
everything is without doing anything other than getting rid of all
DE background crap you don't really need.