Re: A call to drop gnome

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 03:41:28PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
> Not sure what this is about.
> Isn't a desktop manager, display environment whatever its called a way to
> present icons that you can click on and it starts a program you want to use
> and then gets out of the way ?

A window manager is a program that allows the placement and resizing of
windows, and controls which one is "on top", and so on.  There are lot of
window managers, and many of them offer a whole bunch of features like
menus, icons, program activation from either of those, binding of keys
to actions, etc.

A desktop environment is a window manager PLUS a whole crapload of
additional stuff that I do not personally understand.  But it's really big
and really complicated.  Like, for example, fvwm has an installed-size of
about 6.5 megabytes.  How big is GNOME?  I wouldn't be surprised if it's
two orders of magnitude larger than that, just for its "core" components,
not counting a bunch of games or whatever else can be added on.