Re: A call to drop gnome

--

Wayland if what I read on debian-accessibility list is correct has
unsolved screen reader accessibility problems.  Since I came into Linux
mostly using the command line such a switch would have a limited impact
since when I do use any part of the graphical user interface environment
it's to do things the command line environment can't.  I have X with mate
running on this machine now and a case in point came up yesterday.
Logging into youtube-viewer has to be done with a graphical browser since
the command line alternatives do not do javascript.  Now the log in url
google requires is over 200 characters long which is no picnic typing.
So with the help of others on the blinux-list I came up with a set of
instructions to get this done.  For me, only possible since X works as
well as it now does.  So unless or until Wayland gets its accessibility
act cleaned up, removal of X will not be a minor event for me and others
in the screen reader accessibility user community.  Linux is getting more
and more like Microsoft in this respect.  Those who used to use MSdos 6.22
and remember what happened afterwards with MSDOS 7.0 with Microsoft and
how Microsoft mishandled that know what I'm talking about here.  Earlier
much in Linux was based on real choices users could make now Linus
Torvalds is arguing for standardization of the linux desktop.  Earlier I
worked for the Navy before NMCI came into existence and that was back in
the day when depending on what base you called home you'd likely be
running different software and different operating systems.  That
non-standardization from a security perspective probably made it more
difficult for the malware writers to do their work.  With NMCI and what
NMCI emanated it's either a specific version of windows or Linux for the
really important equipment system-wide.