Re: A call to drop gnome

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 04:54:02PM +1000, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> Good afternoon

[...]

> On 15/4/19 9:31 pm, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:> Because GNOME. GNOME's
> upstream said their word loud and clear, and that
> > word is - 'thou shall use Wayland for it is our favorite toy now'.

As Reco said, this wasn't me.

> I've never been a fan of gnome [...]

Similar for me (well, I was a fan shortly up to Gnome 2).

[...]

> Now Tomas quips about gnome is insisting that we like a new video
> process, just because the team have decided to like it lots.

This sentence doesn't make much sense to me. What do you want to
say there?

> I say this is NOT freedom.

Hm.

> So, I am asking that gnome be dropped as an installation option (not
> just as the default desktop) [...]

Thanks $DEITY you aren't taking decisions. It seems to me that your
"freedom" would be much more restrictive that what we have now.

Hey. Debian's not perfect, by a long stretch. But anyone can
contribute. Forbidding to package a piece of free software,
as you suggest above, won't fly in Debian, and this is a Good
Thing.

What have you packaged for Debian?

> By the bye, it's 16:52, and Autumn in my back yard. There are leaves
> all over our footpaths.

Amen.

Cheers
-- tomás