Re: Need help analyzing (kernel?) memory usage and reclaiming RAM (Debian Stretch)

Hello,

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 07:03:13PM +0300, Reco wrote:
[...]
> What I suspect is happening here is runaway memory allocation by a
> kernel module (at least one of them), and said kernel module is likely
> to be VMWare-specific.
> It could be vmxnet3 (network). It could be that LSI kernel module or
> whatever they're using for SCSI these days (vmw_pvscsi?).

sounds interesting.

That would explain why I haven't seen this problem on one of my (few)
personal Stretch installations running as Xen DomU. But then, I guess
we're not the only ones who use Debian Stretch on VMware ESXi ;-)
but haven't found any mention of this problem. I wonder what makes our
setup so special ...

Yes, we're using vmw_pvscsi (VMware Paravirtual SCSI controller).

Here's the outout from lsmod:

msch@rad-wgv-srv01:~$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
tcp_diag               16384  0
inet_diag              20480  1 tcp_diag
ppdev                  20480  0
vmw_balloon            20480  0
joydev                 20480  0
evdev                  24576  1
pcspkr                 16384  0
serio_raw              16384  0
vmwgfx                237568  1
ttm                    98304  1 vmwgfx
drm_kms_helper        155648  1 vmwgfx
sg                     32768  0
drm                   360448  4 vmwgfx,ttm,drm_kms_helper
shpchp                 36864  0
parport_pc             28672  0
parport                49152  2 parport_pc,ppdev
ac                     16384  0
button                 16384  0
vmw_vsock_vmci_transport    28672  0
vsock                  36864  1 vmw_vsock_vmci_transport
vmw_vmci               69632  2 vmw_balloon,vmw_vsock_vmci_transport
ip_tables              24576  0
x_tables               36864  1 ip_tables
autofs4                40960  2
ext4                  585728  3
crc16                  16384  1 ext4
jbd2                  106496  1 ext4
crc32c_generic         16384  0
fscrypto               28672  1 ext4
ecb                    16384  0
glue_helper            16384  0
lrw                    16384  0
gf128mul               16384  1 lrw
ablk_helper            16384  0
cryptd                 24576  1 ablk_helper
aes_x86_64             20480  0
mbcache                16384  4 ext4
dm_mod                118784  16
sr_mod                 24576  0
cdrom                  61440  1 sr_mod
sd_mod                 49152  2
ata_generic            16384  0
crc32c_intel           24576  6
psmouse               135168  0
vmxnet3                61440  0
ata_piix               36864  0
vmw_pvscsi             24576  1
i2c_piix4              24576  0
libata                249856  2 ata_piix,ata_generic
scsi_mod              225280  5 sd_mod,libata,sr_mod,sg,vmw_pvscsi
floppy                 69632  0
msch@rad-wgv-srv01:~$

Is there a way to show the memory consumed by each module? (besides the
'perf' tool you recommend below)

Would memory consumed by a module be released when the module is
unloaded? I guess so. Only I can't unload modules that are in use, of
course. Unloading vmw_balloon, vmw_vmci, and vmw_vsock_vmci_transport
didn't help.

> And that means - 'perf top', or better yet - 'perf record'.

I have never used perf before, will look into it.

Thanks a lot for your insight!

Martin

--
Martin Schwarz * Karlsruhe, Germany * http://kuroi.de/