Re: Exploring package interrelationships

On 04/14/2019 07:50 AM, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 7:33 AM Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net <mailto:rowlett@cloud85.net>> wrote:

    That ...

Moderate trimming is good.  Yours destroyed the context of "That".
It referred to:
In past conversations it has been suggested that I do a typical
install and just un-install the un-desired elements:

That is undesirable for two primary reasons:
    1. I would not reach my primary goal of "grok how packages interact".

I think a better way to proceed, which will be quite confusing itself :-) is to simply explore those relationships using the tools that there are.

What tools are you referring to?

Rather than
exploring it less-systematically under trial by fire. If you want to experiment live
while exploring, fire up a VM at the same time.

    2. Uncertainty of what the resulting "thing" would be.

This shouldn't be an issue IMO. Why is that important?

I've been down this route before. It gave an unsatisfactory approximation of what was desired. I was explicitly specifying an defective approach that I am not interested in following.
YMMV ;/

It's a Debian system with certain packages installed. If you work
in a data center and manage hundreds or thousands of servers,
for example, your config management software cares. You don't.
But I see no reason to care or stress on this in any context.

    Comments/suggestions/readings/search terms.

    TIA