Re: exim4 smtp-auth

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 03:31:13AM -0500, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
> For SMTP-AUTH in exim4, the authorization string saved in
> /etc/exim4/passwd.client is of the form:
>
>     smarthost.isp.net:login_identification:password
>
> with the colon character (:) being the delimiter.
>
> Can this scheme work with a password which itself contains a colon,
> such as:
>
>     this:is:my:password
>
> by quoting the password:
>
>     smarthost.isp.net:login_identification:'this:is:my:password'

I'd guess that the whole thing gets split at the first colon, the rest
being the password -- cf. for example, in /etc/exim4/conf.d/auth/30_exim4-config_examples:

  client_secret = ${extract{2}{:}{${lookup{$host}nwildlsearch{CONFDIR/passwd.client}{$value}fail}}}

That would mean: the quotes would be part of your password,
probably not what you want.

So I'd try without quotes first.

Cheers
-- t