New dual boot laptop: Best file system for a USB live image for installation?

I'm preparing to install Win 10 and Deb 9 on a new ZaReason laptop which has no installed OS on it.

It comes with one 120 Gb SSD as its primary drive and has an empty bay where I will install a Samsung evo 860 1 Tb SSD.

I would like to use a live image on a large USB for preparing the disks before installing Win 10 and then Deb 9.

Some questions:

1. What is the best filesystem (FS) to use on the USB? They usually come with a FAT32 or exFAT FS, but I have in the past made them exFAT. As I understand it, I believe I can just copy the Debian CD live iso image file onto the USB and it will be found and booted from fine.

2. If a straight copy works as in question 1, is there any problem with adding other files on the USB? I have a 64 Gb USB I would like to use for both a live image as well as storing other files on it.

Given that I'm starting with two clean drives, my plan is to use the small disk for Win 10 and the other for Debian and maybe have a small partition to experiment with a BSD OS.

3. Any suggestions as to partitioning given the advantages of the new (to me) GPT disk formats?

4. Which partitioning program is best to use? I am used to using fdisk and parted, but I see partion manager mentioned.

Thanks so much.

Best regards,

-Tom