Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On Sat, Apr 06, 2019 at 07:56:22PM +1100, David wrote:
> I have seen this in IRC. People join there to ask questions
> about Gnome for example, but no-one providing support in the
> channel is actually using Gnome themselves, because they prefer more
> sophisticatedenvironments, even though it's the default GUI for Debian
> that all the newbie questioners are using.
>
> Newbie asks "how do I do X in Gnome" ... and no-one there knows the answer :)

This.  I've pointed it out myself, more than once.

However, "more sophisticated" is not really the target for people like me.
It's more like "simpler", or "more traditional", or "leaner", or "what
we're used to", depending on the actual person.

I'm sure GNOME provides way more features than my chosen window
manager does.  But I don't need or want those features.  I like my WM.
I understand how it works, and I know how to customize it exactly to
my preferences.  It doesn't launch dozens of useless processes to hog
resources, it doesn't blow up if my video driver/firmware aren't perfect,
and it doesn't introduce completely new and surprising ways to screw me
over on a periodic basis.