Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On Fri, 2019-04-05 at 15:30 -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Fri 05 Apr 2019 at 21:34:15 (+0200), Jan Claeys wrote:
> > Another well-known one is GParted, which doesn't really have an
> > alternative for people to use instead...
>
> Does parted not do the same things?

No, it can do some things GParted does (in fact, GParted uses libparted
for those), but GParted has additional features that parted doesn't,
like moving partitions including the filesystems on them.

> I must admit that in 24 years of linux, I've never run a GUI
> application as root. And I would have thought there's a case for
> using a TUI rather than a GUI if the need was pressing.

Obviously it would be better if GParted didn't run as root, but used a
model where a unprivileged process calls a privileged process to do the
actual "hard work" that needs those privileges. Unfortunately none of
the GParted developers have had the combination of time & skills to
rewrite GParted for that yet (help welcome).

--
Jan Claeys

(please don't CC me when replying to the list)