Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On 2019-04-05 21:13, David Wright wrote:

From this and other posts of yours, you seem to feel very vulnerable
when connected to anywhere outside your system, as if you're under
a man-in-the-middle attack all the time.

Do I come across like that ?
It is probably correct. I think it is because I don't understand all of this stuff. I understand bits here and there, yet it does seem increasingly difficult to know what exactly is going on.

A solution is for root to add lines like:

Cmnd_Alias      EMAILQUEUED = /bin/ls -lR /var/spool/exim4/
ME              MYHOSTS         = (EMAIL)               EMAILQUEUED
## who          where           = (as_whom)             what

to a file like /etc/sudoers.d/foo so that you (defined as ME) can
run that specific command as Debian-exim (EMAIL) on given hosts.
Now, a bash function can be defined to handle all the typing for
you (as user):

my-q ()
{
    [ -n "$1" ] && printf '%s\n' "Usage:	$FUNCNAME
	checks the outbound mail queue." 1>&2 && return 1;
    ps -p $(pgrep exim4);
    sudo -u Debian-exim ls -lR /var/spool/exim4/
}

$ my-q

thanks for that.

Cheers,