Re: stretch disk label problems

On 04/05/2019 01:13 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 05 April 2019 08:34:09 Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

On 4/5/19, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 08:07:25AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
I need to fix the disk partition labels on this 2T drive I've
installed stretch on.

tune2fs on wheezy is too old, won't touch the stretch prepared
drive.

I haven't found a tune2fs yet on stretch, but did after 10 minutes
of putzing, get a root session of gparted going, but of course the
device is mounted when booted to stretch, so the stretch gparted
can't cross a t or dot an i.

So how can I fix that?
Use the installer's rescue mode?
Some kind of rescue mode, including via a different mounted operating
system, was my thought, too. Reach in from the outside...

That thought came from having taken a quick poke at GParted. It
doesn't allow label changes on mounted partitions (either). The label
name option is visible on right click but is grayed out so that it
can't be clicked.

It makes sense. Everything's been put into gear using certain
descriptives that a user might type in to call something into some
form of action. There's probably a phenomenal number of [operations]
that would freak/black out/go dark if we were able to change
singularly definable partitions' labels while they're actively on
call. :)

Cindy :)
Somebody, Felix I think, pointed out that the utility package already
installed  provided an "e2label", and it worked perfectly on both
mounted partitions while booted to them.

So for the record, use e2label, it can apparently be used safely on a
live stretch-9.8.0  64 bit system.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
You can also run gparted from a CD. Then nothing is mounted
and you can do what you like.
--doug