Re: Getting amd64 stretch netinstall to work.

On Friday 05 April 2019 03:15:25 Felix Miata wrote:

> Gene Heskett composed on 2019-04-04 15:38 (UTC-0400):
>
> > Not with this math crippled bios bearing a 2006 copyright. It MUST
> > be wholly within the first couple hundred megabytes of the beginning
> > of the disk or it can't find it, and it is the most recent bios
> > available for an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard, version 1701....
>
> You have my sympathy for having made that choice - it has an nForce
> chipset. :~(

And I can't recall the last time I had a problem with it. Probably when I
was younger and dumber, running fedora 2.   But I finally got tired of
being used for a lab rat as fedora was kept busted. Fixes for the
problems we reported went back out to paying customers of red hat, but
only in rare showstopper instances did they ever come back to fedora.
So I voted with my shoes. But nforce has NOT been a problem I remember.

> Yours: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M2NSLI_Deluxe/
>
> Check out the similarity to mine (Intel LGA775):
> https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P5B_Deluxe/
>
> They date to the same year, 20+ BIOS versions on downloads page for
> mine, starting in 2006-07, while yours has fewer total but newer
> "latest", beginning in 2006-08. Your 1701 is 2009-03-02, with 2 newer
> "beta" versions available. I use the latest "beta" for mine,
> 2009-02-11, am thinking about reverting to latest non-beta,
> 2007-04-04.

I see the beta's for mine, but I see no reason to change as I don't have
a "later" cpu, this amd 9550 has Just Worked.

> Mine has so many features it seems like an eternity between the time
> POST completes its cleanup and Grub shows up on screen. Never have I
> seen any other PC reliably take *so* long. Its master /boot partition
> begins @282.4MB, ends @682.5. I need to try moving it to the front
> sometime when I have nothing better to do to see if it makes a
> difference, if the BIOS revert doesn't help.

600 something is beyond the reach of some bios, I seen the figure 504megs
bandied about from several sources.  I settled for about 300, seems to
work, but if the blanker time arrives, stretch crashes and I have to use
the reset button.  Thats a genuine showstopper as this whole system runs
24/7.

But so far, no one has commented.

Thanks Felix.

Cheers, Gene Heskett