Re: Getting amd64 stretch netinstall to work.

On Thu 04 Apr 2019 at 10:39:19 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Greetings all
>
> I am  today, going to make my 6th attempt to make the stretch netinstall
> work.

My, my; as an experienced user, you really are having a hard time.

> I think I have sussed the failure mode, which seems to be that by the
> time its finslly gets around to installing grub, its too far into the
> diksk for the dumb bios on this old Asus mobo to find it, so this time I
> am going to add a /boot as first partition. At 2 or 3 hundred megs.

"... its too far into the diksk ...". Eh? I think that's known as
conjecture. Sounds like nonsense anyway.

> And I'd like to do this with gparted in such a way as to skip the
> partitioning. I don't care if it formats the partitions I give it. But I
> do NOT want them futzt with. I've even had your partitioner rearrange
> the partitions/ putting a /boot partition 300G's into a 1T drive,
> although that was with a previous version.  So I'm hoping it won't do
> that ever again.

You have convinced youself that the partitioner is at fault. Have you
thought of a test install using a single 20 GB partition on your disk?
It is not what you want, but it could boost your confidence.

> So how _exactly_ do I make the installer take what it finds, format it,
> and just get on with it?

I cannot be bothered to think about this. 99.9% of Debian users find an
expert installation procedure works well.

--
Brian.