Re: Grrrrr, howinhell do I stop the 3 minutes of inactivity shutdown of a new stretch install?

On 03.04.2019 23:00, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 03 April 2019 11:16:58 Jonathan Dowland wrote:

On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 10:18:00PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
And the gparted for wheezy won't touch it. e2fsck is too old. So I'll
start a new install in the morning.
I have a vague recollection that we have been involved in a discussion
like this before, but, this is one reason I find LVM2 very useful; to
facilitate changing partition size decisions post-install.
Now I have an even bigger problem.

I have gone thru the netinstall of 9.8.0 at least 5 times. 1st time
failed for unk reasons, but would not reboot.  2nd time I let the
partitioner have its way on a 2T drive wiith a separate /home, so it
gave / 30GB and and about 17 gb to swap, the rest to /home.  That
rebooted, but 30GB for / is about 100GB too small by the time I move my
data.  So the next 3 times I've manually given / 500 GB, some swap, and
the rest as /home. Won't boot, does not even look at the drive, just
sits there forever with a blinking cursor.
So just how the heck  am I supposed to install stretch on a 2T drive?

Seems like a heck of a good question people...

Cheers, Gene Heskett
How old is your hardware (what is make model of your Motherboard)?
What partition table scheme do you use (GPT or MBR)?
How is your BIOS setup, do you use Legacy Boot or UEFI?
The problems you describe sound like a compatibility issues with Legacy Boot and GPT partition table scheme. [1]

If your motherboard is old, you basically, have to stick to Legacy Boot and MBR partition scheme and create a small (150-300MB is enough) dedicated /boot partition marked as active.
The rest of the drive could be partitioned in any way you want, just keep in mind MBR's maximum partition size is 2TB.

There is also a possibility of hardware incompatibility of your 2TB drive with chipset (ICH7) of your motherboard, or generic SATA cable connectivity issues, which should be also checked.
2TB is a magic size, just like it was yesterday with 8GB(CHS) or 137GB(28bit LBA). :)

[1] http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html
--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀