Re: bad printing results (was: Why choose Debian on server)

On 1/4/19, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
> deloptes composed on 2019-01-04 22:32 (UTC+0100):
>
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>>> My copy of FF only prints 1 page, which is the top  3" of the site's
>>> front page, never getting down to any of the text past the headline.
>
>>> And it works on other sites.
>
>> Same here
>
> SeaMonkey and Firefox both do this on Newegg.com, first selecting invoice,
> then clicking printable
> version, then printing. It is nothing like WYSIWYG, no way to get the bottom
> section(s) to show up
> on paper.
>
> I do very little printing of web pages due in large part to general
> incompetence of results going
> back decades. Trying to get usable results probably averages >12 sheets
> wasted for every usable one
> when the "page" is not actually a pdf.

I know this is slightly older and also trailing more off-topic, but I
just encountered this thread while Spring cleaning old Newegg ads in
my inbox....

PDF files were what came to mind as a potential workaround. How do
those do for you all as a (yeah, I know > *PITA*) first step before
sending to physical printer?

I've never had any problem printing at that site. I use a couple
different browsers that come straight from their development website.
That's a notable factor that might make a difference. I also print
straight to file and not a physical printer.

It sounds like *maybe* something was *possibly* slightly flubbed up in
their HTML-type coding. For anyone not versed in web design, those
printer definitions can be separately defined to help customers use
precious printer ink only for necessary purchase receipt information
instead of ALL the colorful picture ads, etc.

I remember playing around with that. Part of that memory is about
having lost a few hairs over *repeatedly* accidentally blocking out
important information k/t *repeated* bad coding on my part.

*My* experience has been that Newegg *does* respond by taking action
without further interaction and/or by actually writing back if you
click whatever method is available to contact them. My contact with
them was about some serious, negatory shenanigans involving third
party vendors. That's a notable point with respect to how phenomenally
fast they were in emailing back AFTER they had already addressed the
situation, i.e. zapped a bunch of product listings and I think also
the vendor, in protection of their customers.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *