Re: troubleshooting nfs-kernel-server on Raspbian Jessie

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 10:36:53AM +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:

> On 30/03/2019 02:20, Jason wrote:
> > I am trying to set up an NFS export on a Ras Pi (Raspbian Jessie).
> > Something seems to be missing and I need help troubleshooting it.
> >
> > At first the NFS port 2049 was not even being opened. After much futzing
> > around I discovered that if I manually start rpcbind with
> >
> > $ sudo /etc/init.d/rpcbind start
>
> This starts the service manually, but doesn't mark it for automatic
> start. To do that, try:
>
> $ systemctl enable --now rpcbind
I get this: systemctl: unrecognized option '--now'

Running it without --now works but it still doesn't survive a reboot.

Synchronizing state for rpcbind.service with sysvinit using update-rc.d...
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d rpcbind defaults
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d rpcbind enable

Anything else to try?

> > then restart the nfs-kernel-server I can get it to work, but only if I
> > spell out the full ip address of the client. For instance if I put this
> > in /etc/exports it works:
> >
> > /srv/export     192.168.1.1(rw,sync)
> >
> > but not if I change it to this to allow other machines on the LAN to
> > mount (I get: mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting
> > 192.168.1.15:/srv/export):
> >
> > /srv/export     192.168.1.*(rw,sync)7
>
> Are you running "exportfs -rav" or similar after editing that file?

Yes, that exact command. As I wrote in another message, using
192.168.1.0/24 does work, so this is now mainly a curiosity question.

> > So I have two questions:
> > 1) Why does rpcbind not start automatically on boot?
> >
> > 2) Why can I not specify a range of client addresses in /etc/exports  ?
> >
> > Thanks,

Thanks for the suggestions.
--
Jason