Re: text editors

On Monday 01 April 2019 06:08:17 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 12:03:13PM +0200, deloptes wrote:
> > Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
> > > d> I've been listening at this BS at the university as well. Until
> > > now d> I have not seen any practical or pragmatic use of this. I
> > > have d> worked with PL and prolog for a while ... unfortunately I
> > > think in d> coming years or decades it all will be declared dead
> > > ... when the d> true AI from China will take over :D :D :D
> > >
> > > I think that Lisp was used in AI because it was the best language
> > > you could find to code smart algorithms on... Figure implementing
> > > mapcar in assembler or FORTRAN :)
> >
> > I think also, but no one uses it except for emacs or some niche
> > programming.
>
> Do your reading before spewing nonsense:
>
>   https://leanpub.com/lisphackers/read

This would be a great read, if 90% of the text wasn't 90% white. What the
hell is wrong with good old black text?

That said, mention lisp and I think of the Amiga's where the preferred
scripting language was lisp. And it was fast. But I never got hugely
productive in it, bash was easier to bang up something quick and dirty
to get the job done, or better yet, ARexx.  Compiled ARexx was also very
fast, we wrote WDTV-5's first web page in ARexx, long before php and
apache were  written to do much of that in a std format on linux. Circa
1996 IIRC.  ARexx had hooks into every OS call, so unlike REXX or
Regina, both of which isolated you from the OS, there wasn't anything
you couldn't do with ARexx. The only REAL cron ever written for the
Amiga was ezcron, compiled, it ran on about .001% of the CPU. And Jim
and I wrote it in ARexx.

> (and this is /only/ Common Lisp. There's Racket, Guile and the new
> kid on the block, Clojure, each one with its own, quite interesting
> projects -- check out Guix for Guile's current hot-spot).
>
> Sorry, that sounds harsh, but that's how fake news are born. You've
> got the tendency to state things as if they were true: then you've got
> the damned duty to do some research before.
>
> Furrfu.
>
> Cheers
> -- t

Cheers, Gene Heskett