Re: Liveusb w/ persistent data

On 31/03/2019 12:24, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 31 Mar 2019 at 09:02:15 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this is the right solution.  However when booting and
>> installing from a flash disk, I get the option to install to either hdd
>> or flash disk (as this device is detected),  I also get the choose where
>> to install the boot loader.
>>
>> The same applies if I have 2 or more physical hard disks in a system, it
>> will give me the option as to where to install.
>>
>> Would plugging in a 2nd flash disk and then installing to that work,
>> then tell the bootloader to install to that device.
>>
>> Comments welcome on this.
> That would work. What to install to the flash drive would depend on the
> thought Joe B has put into what goes on the drive. Terminal only? A DE?
> An archive? Hardware compatibility and portability are considerations.
>
> "Liveusb w/ persistent data" doesn't appear to have the edge over this
> method.

Hi

Not sure if this is significant, just doing the EdX intro to Linux
course (free route, so no certificate), it says the following regarding
file systems

Conventional disk filesystems: ext2, ext3, ext4, XFS, Btrfs, JFS, NTFS, etc.
Flash storage filesystems: ubifs, JFFS2, YAFFS, etc.

Would it need a different file system for Flash storage systems ? Or as
this is being used as bootable system with persistence would you just
stick with for example a conventional system despite being on a flash disk.

Regards

Paul

--
Paul Sutton