After upgrading to stretch, a package refuses to purge or upgrade

I am stuck between old package and script files which I can't
seem to get rid of so new ones can stop and start services in the
new way.

	The package in question is called speakup and is the
screen reader for debian among other Linuxen.  I need to blow
away the old package and install an upgraded version of the same
program but this is what happens:

root@wb5agz:~# apt-get install speakup
  espeak espeak-data espeak-ng-data libespeak-ng1 libespeak1 libpcaudio0
  libsonic0
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  espeakup*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 25 not upgraded.
12 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 79.9 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
dpkg: error processing package espeakup (--remove):
 package is in a very bad inconsistent state; you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal
 espeakup

Oh.  It gets better.

root@wb5agz:~# apt-get autoremove

Reading package lists... 0%

Reading package lists... 100%

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree... 0%

Building dependency tree... 0%

Building dependency tree... 50%

Building dependency tree... 50%

Building dependency tree... 60%

Building dependency tree... 75%

Building dependency tree... 91%

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... 0%

Reading state information... 0%

Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  espeakup
  espeakup
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 25 not upgraded.
12 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/37.2 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Reading changelogs... 100%

Reading changelogs... Done
(Reading database ...
(Reading database ... 5%
(Reading database ... 10%
(Reading database ... 15%
(Reading database ... 20%
(Reading database ... 25%
(Reading database ... 30%
(Reading database ... 35%
(Reading database ... 40%
(Reading database ... 45%
(Reading database ... 50%
(Reading database ... 55%
(Reading database ... 60%
(Reading database ... 65%
(Reading database ... 70%
(Reading database ... 75%
(Reading database ... 80%
(Reading database ... 85%
(Reading database ... 90%
(Reading database ... 95%
(Reading database ... 100%
(Reading database ... 42616 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../espeakup_1%3a0.80-5+deb9u3_i386.deb ...
Failed to stop espeakup.service: Unit espeakup.service not loaded.
invoke-rc.d: initscript espeakup, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit status 5
dpkg: trying script from the new package instead ...
Failed to stop espeakup.service: Unit espeakup.service not loaded.
invoke-rc.d: initscript espeakup, action "stop" failed.

It wasn't running anyway.

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/espeakup_1%3a0.80-5+deb9u3_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 5
update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
Failed to start espeakup.service: Unit espeakup.service is not loaded properly: Invalid argument.
See system logs and 'systemctl status espeakup.service' for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript espeakup, action "start" failed.
● espeakup.service - Software speech output for Speakup
   Loaded: error[0m (Reason: Invalid argument)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:espeakup(8)

Mar 28 10:12:29 wb5agz systemd[1]: [/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12…CE}'
Mar 28 10:12:29 wb5agz systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both Exe…ing.
Mar 28 10:46:36 wb5agz systemd[1]: [/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12…CE}'
Mar 28 10:46:36 wb5agz systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both Exe…ing.
Mar 28 10:46:38 wb5agz systemd[1]: [/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12…CE}'
Mar 28 10:46:38 wb5agz systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both Exe…ing.
Mar 28 10:46:44 wb5agz systemd[1]: [/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12…CE}'
Mar 28 10:46:44 wb5agz systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both Exe…ing.
Mar 28 10:46:45 wb5agz systemd[1]: [/lib/systemd/system/espeakup.service:12…CE}'
Mar 28 10:46:45 wb5agz systemd[1]: espeakup.service: Service lacks both Exe…ing.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/espeakup_1%3a0.80-5+deb9u3_i386.deb

	Basically, I am hosed getting rid of the old scripts and
hosed installing and starting new scripts because the old scripts
are being handled in the old way.  I need to get rid of the old,
completely and want to do it as safely as possible.

	The system is running as systemd so what is the safest
way to break the impasse.  Every sort of purge command I have
tried basically ends the way you see here.  The old scripts
squawk and die.  The new scripts squawk and die.  Game over.

I am not sure how much of the diagnostic messages will come
across because the scripts apparently send curses codes.  There are actually
two debian systems here with exactly the same issue so whatever
fixes one will most likely fix the other.

	Both systems appear to be otherwise okay.

	I appreciate any constructive suggestions for breaking
the deadlock.