Re: free software to paid work

On Thu, 2019-03-28 at 09:25 +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
> In an effort to reach out to people and recruit much needed help for
> contributors to free software,  I just wondered if there were any
> examples of where  people have gained either full time work or full
> time education places as a result of contributing to free software.

There are many thousands of examples of people who got certain jobs
because of their open source and free software contributions (maybe
Linus Torvalds is one of the best-known examples), but of course it is
never a guarantee.  This obviously applies to companies that have their
own open source projects, but some other companies & organisations
(including some that are non-IT in some cases) will also value the
experience you gained.

For full time education places, do you mean something like a
scholarship?  That would be useful in places where university
educations are expensive, of course, but I don't know if there exist
any such scholarships right now.  Maybe someone else knows more about
this?

--
Jan Claeys