Re: troubleshooting nfs-kernel-server on Raspbian Jessie

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 09:53:20PM -0500, Jason wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 09:20:17PM -0500, Jason wrote:
> > I am trying to set up an NFS export on a Ras Pi (Raspbian Jessie).
> > Something seems to be missing and I need help troubleshooting it.
> >
> > At first the NFS port 2049 was not even being opened. After much futzing
> > around I discovered that if I manually start rpcbind with
> >
> > $ sudo /etc/init.d/rpcbind start
> >
> > then restart the nfs-kernel-server I can get it to work, but only if I
> > spell out the full ip address of the client. For instance if I put this
> > in /etc/exports it works:
> >
> > /srv/export     192.168.1.1(rw,sync)
> >
> > but not if I change it to this to allow other machines on the LAN to
> > mount (I get: mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting
> > 192.168.1.15:/srv/export):
> >
> > /srv/export     192.168.1.*(rw,sync)
>
> Now discovered that the below does work:
> /srv/export	192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync)
>
> So now I guess I'm down to one question.
> > 1) Why does rpcbind not start automatically on boot?

In the meantime I discovered this in syslog:
Mar 30 09:57:05 hostname nfs-kernel-server[494]: Not starting: portmapper is not running ... (warning).

Any ideas what to look for for why rpcbind and/or portmapper and/or
'whatever else' is not starting on boot? Most articles I've read on
setting up nfs server make it sound like it should just work, and that
has indeed been my experience on other systems, but on the RPi
something seems to be missing or misconfigured.

Thanks,
--
Jason