System Freezing

Greetings all.

Never logged a bug before and need advice where to log this particular case.

I have been having issues with my Debian system freezing on my PC - see specs below - same issue after reinstall on 3 different SSDs including a USB install with only CherryTree and Keepassx installed beyond standard clean install (nothing else configured or customized). Happens on KDE, Gnome and XFCE. The system would run for random times and then freeze solid with nothing working, not even other terminal sessions - NOTHING.

Have had to switch to QubesOS which runs fine without any issues.

The same Debian install works fine on macbookpro 8.1 (I install Debian on the desktop hardware and just swap the SDD in the mac and it works perfectly - just need wireless driver installed. PS it blew my mind when I found this worked for my particular machines! Debian kicks ass!)

I've checked logs before and could not see anything unusual (not that I am log pro) (will see if I can get some more logs for upload). When it freezes all logging is lost so I don't expect it to be useful.

Freezing issue happened with both current Radeon X1950 PRO and R9 280x Sapphire.

Debian install was amd64 9.8.0 but it started happening around January on previous versions. I suspected it was something hardware related as I was overseas and came back my R9 died - but I doubt it is hardware since QubesOS is working without issues.

Debian template on QubesOS also works fine.

Hardware:

---
brand: |
  ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
model: |
  M5A99FX PRO R2.0
bios: |
  2301
cpu: |
  AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
chipset: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RD9x0/RX980 Host Bridge [1002:5a14] (rev 02)

gpu: |
    Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV570 [Radeon X1950 PRO] [1002:7280] (rev 9a) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV570 [Radeon X1950 PRO] (Secondary) [1002:72a0] (rev 9a)
network: |
  Qualcomm Atheros AR5212/5213/2414 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 09)
memory: |
  16283
usb:
  9

Cheers.

Martin.

Martin Marais
PGP Fingerprint: 96FF E13E 9E06 9A74 56C4 251C 1430 10B6 1360 A558

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any attachment(s) contains information that is intended to be read only by the named recipient(s). It may contain information that is confidential, proprietary or the subject of legal privilege. This information is not to be used by any other person and/or organization. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise me immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. Do not use any information contained in it.

Sent from Thunderbird on Debian GNU/Linux.