Re: text editors

Gian writes:
> [*] I lost the source where I read that in an organization even
> secretaries used Emacs, and that these secretaries learnt how to do
> "useful things" without a problem. Mostly because they were unaware
> they were programming.

It was secretaries in the patent department at Bell Labs.  They were
using troff and friends on Unix for typesetting and learned to write
shell scripts.  This probably all happened before Emacs was operational.
They would have been editing with Ed.
--
John "Bell Labs secretaries may have been a bit above average" Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com