Re: text editors

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 9:38 PM mick crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any text editor, preferably in a terminal that has the facility
to protect lines in the document, not the document itself ?
I've got 2 blocks of "code" that look similar and I keep editing the
wrong one and then it doesn't work.
mick

Hi Mick,

Actually, you can do this, at least in emacs, and this can be done in a terminal,
at least in an xterm.

If you're using emacs as an app, then it is just a matter of highlighting the region, then
choosing Edit > Text Properties > Special Properties > Read Only

(This is described in stack overflow, https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/46066, where i
learned about it.)

However, you want to do it in a terminal, which is a good thing i think.

In this case, you probably have to access the menu things without a mouse.

But in xterm, at least, you can follow this procedure.

First, if you do not see the menu along the top, do M-x menu-bar-mode.  (If
you can see the menu, don't do M-x menu-bar-mode, because it toggles.)

Then, at least in xterm, you can do F10 (or function-F10) to get into the menus and
use the arrow keys to move around, and do the Edit > Text Properties thing.

Note that i do not know how to do this in xfce4-terminal, which is what debian
gives me, because F10 gets me into the xfce4-terminal.  But i don't know what
terminal you are using, so don't know if that's an issue for you or not.

Anyhow good luck, and it's a good question invho.

dan