(Paul) Re: Other lists? Fire support for new users

On 3/22/19 12:39 PM, Paul Sutton wrote:
On 22/03/2019 15:31, deb wrote:
Hello folks:

For someone trying to pull Windows (and Mac) users into Linux
does anyone have:

Preferred other email lists, for new users?

Perhaps more basic than this one?

There are forums, but the emails are a good way to work too.

Thanks!

Why not direct them here,  just perhaps set up their e-mail client so
that all e-mails are sent to a folder,  that way the main inbox doesn't
get full of e-mail from here, as there can be quite a lot at times.
Maybe teach them how to watch specific threads,  so they post a
question, when it arrives in their inbox from the list, tag it to watch.

I suggest this, as it is the main list for Debian,  plus I am not a full
expert but can still help with some stuff,  and happy to do so.

Also new users asking questions here can highlight specific issues,  a
task that should (and is considered simple, by developers or more
experienced users) may not be,  and may need looking in to as to how
that task can be made less complex (if that makes sense) or explained
differently.

Sometimes when new users and developers (including documentation
editors) can communicate good things happen.  if may also help us
develop good documentation too, as even writing that can throw up
questions.

Paul

Thanks Paul:

And I agree -- it would be great to have one place to send them to and Yes, old pros can get trends (or early leads) of problems this way.

I guess I found that some folks here (not many, but vocal) can be gruff and insensitive; and I just wanted to see if there were more "yielding" lists.

The last thing I want to do is have new users rebuffed in the spot I send them to for help.

I was just checking to see what else was available :-)

Dig?

Thank you!