devscripts 'bts' mail setup

I'm having trouble configuring bts via ~/.devscripts, though similar settings
do work for Reportbug, and I'm looking for help solving this.

I want bts to send mail via SMTP, so this is how the relevant lines of
.devscripts looks right now.
BTS_SMTP_HOST=posteo.de:587
BTS_SMTP_AUTH_USERNAME=jscott@posteo.net

The man page says
* BTS_SMTP_AUTH_USERNAME, BTS_SMTP_AUTH_PASSWORD
	If these options are set, then it is the same as the --smtp-username and --
smtp-password options being used.
* --smtp-username=USERNAME, --smtp-password=PASSWORD
	If a username is specified but not a password, bts will prompt for the
password before sending the mail.

But bts never prompts for a password, saying only "mailx: Null message body;
hope that's ok." Even putting the password in .devscripts doesn't make it
work, and the mails don't send.

The last thing I tried was setting BTS_SMTP_HELO. "Note that some SMTP servers
may reject the use of a HELO which either does not resolve or does not appear
to belong to the host using it." My /etc/mailname says X200, the name I gave
this computer which clearly doesn't resolve. Is that normal?

I put my public IPv4 address in BTS_SMTP_HELO which didn't make a difference.

Thanks, I look forward to figuring this out.
 P.S. please CC me, I'm not subscribed to the list