Re: Format an MS-DOS floppy on /dev/sdc

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 1:46 PM Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

> On 2019-03-17, Anders Andersson <pipatron@gmail.com> wrote:
> >   I got myself a USB 3.5" disk drive and want to format a 3.5" HD disk
> > so that it Just Works™ as a standard MS-DOS floppy.
> >   Normally I would have used mformat from the mtools package, but it
> > appears that I can not supply a device name, just "emulated names"
> > like A: which are then translated to /dev/fd0 etc.
>
> It seems you're supposed to use '/etc/mtools.conf' for this kind of
> thing.
>
>  drive m: file="/dev/sdc"
>
> Then:
>
>  mformat m:

Thanks! This worked well, all the mtools utilities now works with the USB drive.

I wonder when the GNU people will understand that no one wants their
enforced info files and start write actual manual pages for the tools.
Normally the manual pages has a "See Also" section, but mformat does
not mention the configuration file or refers to the mtools manual page
which does.