Format an MS-DOS floppy on /dev/sdc

  I got myself a USB 3.5" disk drive and want to format a 3.5" HD disk
so that it Just Works™ as a standard MS-DOS floppy.
  Normally I would have used mformat from the mtools package, but it
appears that I can not supply a device name, just "emulated names"
like A: which are then translated to /dev/fd0 etc.
  The problem is that my disk drive shows up as a SCSI device on
/dev/sdc and I can not find a way to tell mformat to use it, so it
seems that I have to use the traditional mkfs.fat to format my disk.
  However, there are dozens of parameters such as number of FATs, FAT
size, "media type", and I don't know anything about that! Can someone
figure out what type of magic I need to supply to mkfs.fat for it to
do exactly what mformat would to do a floppy, or alternatively, how to
make mformat work with /dev/sdc?