change up real directory from soft link

hello,
If I doing something buried a couple of directories down from home I make a soft link to that directory in ~/ just for convenience. If I cd softlink then want to go up a directory from the real directory I'm put back to ~/

Is it possible to get the behavior going up a directory from softlink actually goes up a directory the softlink refers to ?

maybe hard links ? but I've been loathe to experiment with those as it makes me nervous I'll delete the original directory

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31