Re: why key repeating fails?

On Wed 20 Mar 2019 at 06:30:28 (+0000), Long Wind wrote:
> holding down a key is equal to repeatedly pressing a keythis usually work in stretch at firstbut after some time, it mysteriously fails
> it can't be solved by logging out and logging again
>
> how to troubleshoot it?? Thanks!
For consoles:

setterm --repeat on/off can change whether the keys repeat or not,
and that can differ for each console. It lasts on that console
until you fully logoff from it.

But perhaps something is messing with kbdrate. Logging out and
back in won't affect that unless you set the repetition rate in
your startup files.¹ The values attach to the keyboard, not to
each individual console, whether it's logged in or not.
To find out the current values, you have to set new ones, whereupon
it prints the previous values too. Try that and see if repetition
comes back to life.

X is different:

Try   xset r on   to see if that fixes it. If not, try
xset r rate 200 5   and see if that produces a very slow repeat.
If so, use values to your taste. The values are global to the
server instance AIUI.

¹ I think I recall Cindy talking about keys double-striking when
entering the password. I tested adding a line to root's crontab:
 @reboot /sbin/kbdrate -r 5 -d 500 -s
and found that you can see the slower rate kick in if you hold down
a key at the first login: prompt. (This cures the double-striking.)

Cheers,
David.