Re: what to do when Buster's apt won't purge?

On 3/19/19, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> Felix Miata wrote:
>> Anything I try to do ends with
>>
>> 	E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) on account of
>>
>> /var/lib/dpkg/info/telnetd.postinst: 8:
>> /var/lib/dpkg/info/telnetd.postinst: update-inetd: not found
>>
>> or other failure messages related to broken telnet*.
>>
>> < snipped for brevity >
>>
>> What does it take to make telnet* go away? Current pae kernel is broken,
>> so I need to get linux-image-686 installed.
>
> Option 1: install update-inetd, then try to purge again.
>           Uninstall update-inetd.

That's what I was thinking, too.. "install --reinstall".. But my
personal observation is also that this only brings in the immediately
requested package. It doesn't touch the dependencies on the second
round. That would matter if the purge-preventing glitch stretched
across two or more interactive packages somehow. :)

> Option 2: Edit telnet.postinst and find where it calls update-inetd.
>           Comment out that line. Try the purge again.
>
> Option 1 is cleaner.

If those don't work, you could also try a different package manager. I
can't remember the circumstances now, but I've had luck with dpkg when
apt-get failed specifically on purges. I'm sure of that because I can
remembering having to "man dpkg" to find the purge flag, grin. I've
seen dpkg get head nods from another User or two for similar reasons.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *