Re: How to slow more copying of files ?

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 11:29:36AM +0100, Pierre Couderc wrote:
> Big copy operations (with cp) may be slow, but it is not my problem.
>
> But too,  they slow the full computer !
>
> Is there a way to slow the copy which is not a priority task to let
> the computer breath.... ?

This is more complicated than you might wish :-)

The problem centers around the definition of "slow": clearly, some
resource is being hogged by your 'cp', but which one(s) will depend
much on your hardware.

Since you have tried 'nice' with no effect, let's assume that this
resource isn't CPU. Then, you might have a look at 'ionice' (from
the package util-linux). But too little RAM might be as well a
problem.

Another avenue might be using rsync, which offer a rate-limiting
option (--bwlimit).

Cheers
-- tomás