Re: Fstab Questions (Final time)

On Monday, March 18, 2019 08:56:20 AM Dan Purgert wrote:
> I'm bad with the FHS, but shouldn't say your shark-attack movies be
> somewhere in /usr(/local) ?

I'd say no -- if they were shark attack programs, /usr/local could be
appropriate.  (/usr/local is for local programs)

If they are files (movies, documents, MIDI files, ....), they should be either
in /home/<user> ... (keep reading)

> maybe /srv if you're running a media
> server?

I've had some input into the FHS -- read more below -- but I don't remember
offhand about /srv -- I vaguely think that is ok, but keep reading ...

> Or is there some caveat that allows for mounting new partitions into
> the root directory, while remaining "FHS compliant"?

I (some time ago) read the FHS more than once, and had some input into
changing some portions of it (related to /home -- my intent was to allow
<user> owned files to be either in /home/<user> or in some other, arbitrarily
named, top level directory chosen by the user.

I do this all the time, and I believe I am in compliance with the FHS.

If anyone (who is familiar with the FHS) believes different, I'd like to know,
and I would then attempt to amend the FHS appropriately.