Re: mouse-wheel on a laptop?

For starters, have you tried using the mouse on a different computer?
Certainly it is possible that the mouse wheel itself is not functioning.

I assume that you are trying to use the mouse in a graphical (X) session?
>From a terminal window, try running the "xev" command, available in the
"x11-utils" package (which is probably already installed). This will popup a
nondescript window with a black square.

Hover the cursor over the window and then try to scroll up and down with the
mouse wheel. Do lines appear in the terminal window? They should indicate
ButtonPress and ButtonRelease events for button 4 (up) or button 5 (down).

There are plenty of other things which might be wrong, but start with these
two.