Re: systemd error

Default User wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019, 04:49 Ivan Ivanov <qmastery16@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, I know a good solution that will work 100%: switch from Debian
> > to Devuan to avoid this SystemD. sadly Debian does not provide the
> > init system freedom, but if you'd switch to its' brother distribution
> > (Devuan) it still provides all the benefits of Debian + the freedom
> > from SystemD.
> >

> Thanks for the suggestion, Ivan.
>
> Actually, I had high hopes for Devuan. But I am afraid that it's just too
> little, too late.
>
> The cancer of systemd has metastasized too far and the GNU/Linux patent is
> terminally ill.
>
> How sad that once again, the bad guys won because good men did nothing.

In point of fact:

- I run several hundred Debian stretch systems without systemd
  running as init, or doing very much otherwise.

  "apt install sysvinit-core" was all that is needed.

- Those are almost all servers, but also includes some desktops.

- The debian-init-diversity mail archives are here:
  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/pipermail/debian-init-diversity/2019-March/thread.html
    and you can see that good work is being done on sysvinit,
    startpar, insserv and elogind.

I don't know why this doesn't get more publicity.

If you are having problems with systemd and they feel intractable,
it's perfectly reasonable to go back to sysvinit, and it's only a little
work to move to openrc and a moderate amount to use completely different
init systems.

-dsr-