Re: Mart -- [Solved] [Well, not solved,. but sickened by] Re: Group thoughts on: Anti-virus tools

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 13:53:39 -0400
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > re: apt solving all? I understand it recently had a long-time
> > vulnerability itself...
> > Linux will get hit more as it gets more popular.
>
> My point is not that APT and/or Debian is bullet-proof (I live under
> no delusion in this respect).  Just that instead of keeping your A/V
> up-to-date, the GNU/Linux approach to protecting oneself from attacks
> is to keep your OS up-to-date.

Yes, but malware (that does not necessarily exploit a bug) can be
installed on a completely secure (and imaginary!) OS by an incautious
user running as root.

There is a spectrum of Windows software than runs between evil malware
and legitimate programs, it isn't just black and white, and many
legitimate programs are supplied free but with grey semi-malware
(adware, spyware) bundled in to provide revenue. A laptop manufacturer
who shall be nameless once (allegedly unknowingly) bundled an
https-breaker among the pre-installed junk. It doesn't have to be about
exploiting unfixed bugs. A lot of it is in the whole ethos of the OS
and its hardware and software vendors. That's where free-as-in-beer
makes a huge difference.

--
Joe