Re: Docker and Container Tools Podman/Buildah/Skopeo

On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 09:56:50PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 05:07:00PM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > You may dislike Redhat all you want [...]

> Indeed. For instance, RedHat in its infinite wisdom blessed us with
> pulseaudio [...]

Still we'd be far worse off without well-maintained GCC, libc, binutils
et al. We gotta be fair, I think.

> > Actually more than can be said about Canonical [...]

> Canonical's famous for their NIH too. Mir, Unity, LXD - it's a long
> list, although RedHat has longer one.

Still, it's free software. We gotta acknowledge that, and work on
keeping the alternatives viable we deem better. And we can make use
of selected bits & pieces from those solutions... we have the permission,
after all.

> > As for the docker thingies... I get what they are supposed to do. But if
> > I can convince someone else to to the dirty work...
>
> Hear, hear.

You see, docker et al are targeted mainly at big corps: lots of machinery,
save on capable sysadmins. IMHO it is a mixed blessing (even for them),
because they end up integrating "whatever docker image lies around on
my cloud provider's attic" into their core infrastructure, but hey: I'm
not particularly sad when they fall flat on their faces for that.

In a nutshell: IMHO critical, yes. Unfair, no.

Cheers
-- tomás