Re: Docker and Container Tools Podman/Buildah/Skopeo

On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 06:10:40PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 02:26:24PM +0100, plataleas plataleas wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > RedHat announced with RHEL8 that the docker container engine is replaced by
>
> s/RedHat/IBM/g
>
> fixed that for you.
>

> > What does the Debian community think of this move?
>
> Mixed, but I speak only for myself.
> On one hand, RedHat is known for its Not-Invented-Here syndrome.
> Endless re-implementation of known tools can hardly do anyone any good.
> Also, vendor lock-in and all that.

You may dislike Redhat all you want (and hey, I've my beefs with them
too) but they do pay part of the bills (sometimes a significant part!)
for many things that are dear to our hearts. For example gcc, the GNU
C library and many friends (binutils, etc.) through their acquisition
of Cygnus Support (these days called Sourceware) in the 2000s; further
to the Linux kernel (through many kernel people on RH's paylist -- use
your own search engine this time ;-) and many, many more things.

Actually more than can be said about Canonical, for example (the latter
have at least given back to Debian by having Debian Developers on
payroll, so...)

As for the docker thingies... I get what they are supposed to do. But if
I can convince someone else to to the dirty work...

Cheers

[1] https://sourceware.org/news.html
-- tomás