Re: systemctl reboot fails (doesn't reboot)

On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 08:40:50AM -0300, riveravaldez wrote:
> On 3/2/19, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 06:38:33PM -0300, riveravaldez wrote:
> >> Hi, I'm on debian-testing (updated), and found this issue:
> >
> > I have very little experience with systemd, but...

[...]

> >   sudo apt-get install --reinstall policykit-1
> >
> > or whatever you favourite reinstallation method is.
>
> Thanks a lot, tomás!

Let me reiterate that I don't know exactly what I am doing, but hey.

> Indeed, all hints point to PolicyKit (package: policykit-1)
>
> Because of the errors on systemd I have it marked to hold, and I
> suppose some package updated and now I have an inconsistency, see:
>
> $ sudo apt-get --reinstall install policykit-1
> Reading list of packages ... Done
> Creating dependency tree
> Reading the status information ... Done
> Can't instal some package. This may mean that you asked for an
> impossible situation or, if you are using the distribution unstable,
> that some necessary packages have not yet been created or have been
> removed from «Incoming».
> The following information can help resolve the situation:
>
> The following packages have unfulfilled dependencies:
>   policykit-1: It depends: libpam-systemd but it will not be installed
>   systemd: It depends: libsystemd0 (= 240-4) but 240-6 is going to be installed
>             Recommend: libpam-systemd but it will not be installed
> E: Error, pkgProblemResolver :: Resolve generated cuts, this may be
> due to retained packets.
>

> So, I guess I could try downgrading policykit-1 until the situation
> gets fixed, but I don't know how.

Hm. You can (try to) install a specific version with

  sudo apt-get install --reinstall policykit-1=<your-version-number-here>

but note two things: your apt source might not always carry that
(you have checked for that) and you're moving yourself into more
and more trouble, as your package set becomes more and more complex.

This isn't bad per se, but be prepared to learn some things about
packaging and dependencies :-)

Cheers
-- t