Re: systemctl reboot fails (doesn't reboot)

On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 06:38:33PM -0300, riveravaldez wrote:
> Hi, I'm on debian-testing (updated), and found this issue:

I have very little experience with systemd, but...

> $ systemctl reboot
> Failed to set wall message, ignoring: The name
> org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files

...as other posts in this thread already seem to hint at, something
in your PolicyKit seems broken: and as PolicyKit is the machinery
which has to decide whether you, as a "normal user" are allowed to
reboot...

> Failed to reboot system via logind: The name

...no decision can be taken, so you aren't allowed.

I'd try reinstalling whatever PolicyKit packages seem relevant.
Perhaps start trying to locate whatever file hides behind the
".service file" which is supposed to "provide" the "name"
"org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1" (goodness! the jargon alone is for
me reason enough to stay clear of that stuff -- but I disgress).

As a starting point, apt-file search [1] is usually a good help:

  tomas@trotzki:~$ apt-file search PolicyKit1
  policykit-1: /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.conf
  policykit-1: /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.service
  policykit-1-doc: /usr/share/doc/policykit-1-doc/html/eggdbus-interface-org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.AuthenticationAgent.html
  policykit-1-doc: /usr/share/doc/policykit-1-doc/html/eggdbus-interface-org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.html

The second line looks like right. So if I were you, I'd try
to reinstall the package "policykit-1", e.g. by issuing:

  sudo apt-get install --reinstall policykit-1

or whatever you favourite reinstallation method is.

Take all this with a grain of salt: those packages aren't installed
on /my/ machine ;-)

Cheers

[1] You don't have apt-file? Go, no, RUN! to your next pharmacy
  uh, apt repo and install it. Right now!
-- tomás