Re: Screen resolution during Stretch installation

Fabiano Ferronato composed on 2019-03-01 16:20 (UTC+0100):

> I don't know if this is the wright place to ask, but I'm searching a lot
> trying to find a way to this problem.
> I'm installing Debian in my Asus ROG GL552VW laptop (Intel and Nvidia video
> cards) and the resolution (probably 3840x2160)is set in a way  that the
> font size is so small that I have to almost  put my face on the monitor so
> I can read. And the windows size is also larger than the monitor area, so I
> can't see the buttons. I can complete the installation either way, but I
> want to know why this is happening and how to solve this.
> After OS install, I try to follow Debian instructions to install Nvidia
> drivers. But I'm following every tutorial and ending up with a broken
> installation.

> So, my questions:
> Where I can change the screen resolution during (or before) install?
> After install, resolution is still wrong. How can I set OS resolution
> during install?

An alternative suggestion to Curt's is to utilize the kernel's KMS. Curt's suggestion included
disabling KMS with either the nomodeset or nouveau.modeset=0 string on the installer's cmdline.
Including video=2560x1440 or video=1920x1080 should increase the font sizes without disabling KMS.

Including either nomodeset or nouveau.modeset=0 for installation generally means its included in
/etc/default/grub and /boot/grub/grub.cfg on the installed system, continuing KMS blockage, and
making video performance suffer greatly. Both are intended as troubleshooting workarounds, though
traditionally, non-FOSS drivers have required disabling KMS full time.

Another key is the i7-6700HQ provides HD 530 Intel video. Intel + NVidia usually equates to
"Optimus", which generally means a requirement to follow special instructions for installing either
OS or NVidia drivers. These you can find by using Optimus, Prime and Bumblebee as search keywords.
Optimus instructions on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Optimus are reputedly very good, in
case any you find for Debian seem inadequate to task.

Note too that there are three potentially competent DDX drivers for NVidia, the non-FOSS from
NVidia, plus the two from Xorg, nouveau and modesetting. The newer technology modesetting is the
upstream default, included in the server package since 4 years ago, but most installations manage
to override it by installing all optional DDX drivers via virtual (meta) package, including
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau. BTW, upstream's name for DDX drivers takes the form
xf86-video-<nameORmodel>, helpful to know in evaluating search results.

Having the nouveau DDX installed blocks the modesetting DDX unless explicitly configured not to via
/etc/X11/xorg.conf*. IOW, if you purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau, or explicitly configure its use,
before installing NVidia drivers, you get an opportunity to test whether you even need to add the
non-FOSS DDX.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/