Re: string "defaults" in fstab options columns (was: User rw Permissions on New Hard Drive)

On Fri 01 Mar 2019 at 02:51:33 (-0500), Felix Miata wrote:
> Cindy-Sue Causey composed on 2019-03-01 01:30 (UTC-0500):
> > Felix Miata wrote:
> >> David Wright composed on 2019-02-28 20:26 (UTC-0600):
>
> >> English can be tricky. Please clarify. AIUI, the string "defaults" is a
> >> placeholder, unnecessary if
> >> any other option is specified. Man mount doesn't make it clear to me. I
> >> can't recall ever including
> >> it along with any other option. I've always assumed all defaults not
> >> explicitly overridden will be
> >> used.
>
> > That's what I'd been thinking, too. Because of your question, I just
> > tried a search for...
>
> > "defaults,rw" /etc/fstab
>
> > Some things pulled up from varying resources out there. Without
> > actually visiting any of the results, sometimes they just said the
> > above. Other times, they would have "defaults,rw" with a few of the
> > various remaining options tacked on the end of that, as well.
>
> To be clear, "including it" above meant an fstab line I created from scratch or any options entry I
> edited, not any created by any Linux installer. I just checked original fstabs created by
>
> Etch (in 2006)
> Fedora 7 (in 2006)
> openSUSE 10.3 (in 2007)
> Squeeze (in 2011)
> openSUSE 42.1 (in 2015)
> Bionic (in 2018)
> Buster (in 2018)
>
> on PCs here. Not one contains the string "defaults" adjacent to a comma. I have seen defaults
> adjacent to a comma in fstab option lines in web searches, mailing lists and forums, but don't know
> why it ever happens.

I don't see harm in making explicit what's implicit. My use may have
arisen from habit back in the early days, way before etch. But I'd
better remove defaults forthwith in any posts, as they're obviously
causing such concern (and you so much work).

Cheers,
David.