Re: User rw Permissions on New Hard Drive

On 2/28/19, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
> David Wright composed on 2019-02-28 20:26 (UTC-0600):
>
>> I always add an explicit rw or ro under options, along with defaults.
>
> English can be tricky. Please clarify. AIUI, the string "defaults" is a
> placeholder, unnecessary if
> any other option is specified. Man mount doesn't make it clear to me. I
> can't recall ever including
> it along with any other option. I've always assumed all defaults not
> explicitly overridden will be
> used.

That's what I'd been thinking, too. Because of your question, I just
tried a search for...

"defaults,rw" /etc/fstab

Some things pulled up from varying resources out there. Without
actually visiting any of the results, sometimes they just said the
above. Other times, they would have "defaults,rw" with a few of the
various remaining options tacked on the end of that, as well.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *