Re: systemd bacula-director.service masked

Hodges <hoj@sloth.uk.net> wrote:

> I installed Debian 10 through synaptic. I previously had a jumbled up
> sources.list having accidentally moved from jessie to buster so on
> advice from the forum I reduced the entries to two both referring to
> 'buster'

> Synaptic uninstalled quite a few packages, and then installed OK
> except that Inetutils-syslogd failed. Later I set synaptic to install
> bacula which it did except that bacula director  failed as did
> bacula-services.The error logs seemed to suggest that the bacula
> failure was due to having no syslog facility so I got
> inetutils-syslogd to load by commenting out most of the entries of the
> configuration file, and after this bacula director and
> ineutils-syslogd did install. Haven't yet worked out how to replace
> the configuration file, although most of the log files are working

> On masking, earlier on I had had trouble starting the network, as it
> seemed to start without the help of systemd, and when systemd tried to
> start it it reported a failure and as a result I would lose connectivity
> . So I just masked the systemd networking and networking.service  units
> and things worked. I guess this may be the problem if bacula-services
> needs them -  but I cannot live with losing connectivity every time I reboot

So your package system is in an unclear state, as is the rest of the
system. No wonder you get strange errors.

Yes, bacula-director needs network.target to start, so also no wonder it
will not start when you go off the path and mask the networking units.

My advise here is to stop trying to get Bacula (or any other package for
that matter) to work and first straighten out the rest of the system.

Chances are, by going directly from Jessie to Buster and skipping
Stretch, an upgrade path that is not in any way supported or even
tested, you hosed your whole system.

If you can: Just backup your data and reinstall.

If you can't: boy, will that be an experience for you sorting that out.
But at the end of it, you will know more about the internals of a Debian
system than you ever wanted to know ;)

Grüße,
Sven.

--