Re: advice sought for program with GUI

Hi,

[beginning to deviate from topic]

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> Hey! this is the first time I (mildly) have to disagree with you.
> Once I got to grips that Tcl is a kind of "inside-out" Lisp
> (or a flip-backwards-and-a-half-turn Forth), Tcl is up there
> in my favorite bunch.

When i wrote xorriso-tcltk as demo for a xorriso slave under a GUI master,
i had a hard time with processing shell-style quoted text. In the end my
solution was to let the xorriso slave parse quoted text into a more
machine readable form (FORTRAN inspired, iirc) which i was able to digest
in Tcl.

Another unexpected obstacle was to perform the C-style gesture of pipe(2)
and fork(2) in order to create the slave and to connect its stdin and
stdout to the Tcl program. Single channel is easy. But two-way
communications seems not to be foreseen by Mr. Ousterhout (or i am not
weird enough).
Solution was to teach xorriso how to start and connect to its own
frontends and to let the Tcl script start xorriso which then starts another
instance of the Tcl script as actually working GUI frontend.
(Ok. Probably i am as weird as tomas. Just differing in detail.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas