Re: fake transparency urxvt fails

On 02/26/2019, Jonas Hedman wrote:
Hi debian-user list

I have a kind of weird problem. I'm trying to get fake transparency to
work in urxvt on my x200.

I have two computers. I think they are pretty much identically configured
with respect to installed packages, configuration files etc (on debian
stable). The only thing obviously different about the older stationary
computer is that arch is i686. While my laptop is x86_64.

Fake transparency works as expected on the stationary while it fails on
my x200 with the following .Xresources:

   xterm*foreground: rgb:a8/a8/a8
   xterm*background: rgb:00/00/00

   xterm*color0: rgb:00/00/00
   xterm*color1: rgb:a8/00/00
   xterm*color2: rgb:00/a8/00
   xterm*color3: rgb:a8/54/00
   xterm*color4: rgb:00/00/a8
   xterm*color5: rgb:a8/00/a8
   xterm*color6: rgb:00/a8/a8
   xterm*color7: rgb:a8/a8/a8
   xterm*color8: rgb:54/54/54
   xterm*color9: rgb:fc/54/54
   xterm*color10: rgb:54/fc/54
   xterm*color11: rgb:fc/fc/54
   xterm*color12: rgb:54/54/fc
   xterm*color13: rgb:fc/54/fc
   xterm*color14: rgb:54/fc/fc
   xterm*color15: rgb:fc/fc/fc
   XTerm*pointerColor: white
   XTerm*pointerColorBackground: black
   XTerm*cursorColor: green

   URxvt*font: xft:Iosevka Term:style=medium:size=8
   URxvt*boldFont: xft:Iosevka Term:style=bold:size=8

   URxvt*fade: 90
   URxvt*foreground: rgb:a8/a8/a8
   URxvt*background: rgb:00/00/00
   URxvt.scrollBar: false
   URxvt.scrollBar_right: false
   URxvt.scrollBar_floating: false
   URxvt.scrollstyle: rxvt
   URxvt.cursorColor:  green
   URxvt.cursorBlink: true
   URxvt*cursorUnderline: true

   ! percentage of fading on unfocused
   URxvt*fading: 65
   ! fading color
   URxvt*fadeColor: black

   URxvt*transparent:  true
   URxvt*tintColor: green
   URxvt*shading: 30

By failing I mean that the background is green with zero transparency.

I set my wallpaper using feh (in i3wm) but I've tried it in xfce as well
with the same result and running 'xrdb (-merge) .Xresources doesn't do
any difference. I also invoke xrdb on i3 startup.

The urxvt package in question is rxvt-unicode (9.22-1+b1) but for safe
measure I compiled it from source just to get confirmation that the
problem remains.

Am I missing something obvious? Any ideas on how to solve this or
further troubleshoot this issue would be highly appreciated.

best regards
--
Jonas Hedman

which version of compton are you using on each machine?

--
regards.....

Dekks Herton

Thinkpad T61 2.0Ghz 2GB WSXGA+