Re: Can't scan new disk

On 2/24/19 2:07 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Sun 24 Feb 2019 at 12:26:25 (-0800), David Christensen wrote:

If that does not work, make your own Debian console-only live USB
stick -- download the latest Debian Stable installer, burn it to
media, connect a 16+ GB USB 3.0 flash drive, wipe the flash drive,
power down, completely disconnect all HDD's and SSD's (power and data
cables for internal drives, USB, Firewire, etc., cables for external
drives), leave the USB flash drive connected, boot the install media,
start the Debian installer, install to the USB flash drive, at the
"Choose software to install" menu select "SSH server" and "standard
system utilities" only, finish the install, reboot into the USB flash
drive, remove the install media, SSH in from another machine, connect
your USB dock and disk, and trouble-shoot.

Surely there's a recipe for creating a live USB stick that doesn't
involve tearing out the guts of your PC.

Sure -- leave all the drives connected and don't make any mistakes.

What does one do with a laptop?

My Dell Inspiron E1505 has an externally-accessible 2.5" x 9 mm SATA drive bay -- four screws and the drive slides out.

I realise that leaving things connected probably involves one in a
full round of backup complete with off-site storage. :)

Many years ago I bought a large rack-mount ATX case with lots of external bays, filled it up with drive docks and HBA's, and started collecting HDD's/ SSD's/ USB flash drives -- small ones for various OS's and large ones for backups, archives, and images. Everyone who works on computers needs something like this.

The other key asset is a dedicated file server/ version control server.

David