Re: Debian Sid updates

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 09:44:55AM -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:
> I am running Debian Sid and have not had any updates for a couple of days. I
> gather this is because of the upcoming release of Buster?

The soft freeze started a few days ago, so I would expect a significant
decline in the pace of new uploads to unstable.

> I have read some
> advice on the net that I should change my sources list to point to Buster to
> avoid a cascade of updates. Is this advisable ?

That approach is unlikely to work how you expect.  In particular, there
many packages in unstable which have been removed from buster and so
will not be part of the release.  If you have had your sources pointed
to "sid" and you change them to "buster" there is a possibility you
could end up with mix of packages from unstable and testing.  In some
cases, when a package exists in testing and a newer version in unstable
has been kept out of testing purpose, you may end up with the newer
buggy version from unstable and that may present problems for you.

The two most sensible approaches you can take are: 1) stick with
unstable, or, 2) install fresh from a buster beta installer.  Which you
choose depends on whether or not you eventually want to end up on
stable.

Regards,

-Roberto

--